By 1904: owned by
Valerie Susan Meux (née Langdon) (1847-1910)
By 1962: owned by George Charles Montagu, 9th Earl of Sandwich (1874-1962), Kent, UK;
1963: sold at auction, Sotheby's, London, 3 April 1963 (lot 21) as 'A Venetian Canal', and bought by Thomas Agnew and Sons, London dealers;
1965: sold in November to a private collector;
1967: bought back by Agnew's and sold to
Ira Spanierman (n/a)
, New York dealer;
1967: bought by a private collector.
1992: bought from
Thomas Colville (n/a)
, New York dealer, by private collectors, Los Angeles;
2016: sold at auction, Christie's, New York, 19 May 2016 (lot 25, repr.);
2016: given by
Paula Crane Lunder (b. 1935)
Peter H. Lunder (b. 1933)
to Colby College Museum of Art.
Further details are given in MacDonald 1995 (cat. rais.) [more]
(cat. no. 760).
Venice Pastels, Fine Art Society, London, 1881 (cat. no. 44) as 'Fish Market, San Barnaba'.