Detail from The Canal, Amsterdam, 1889, James McNeill Whistler, The Hunterian, University of Glasgow

Home  > Catalogue > Exhibitions > London_1903e (related works) > Search Display

The Little Back Canal

Provenance

  • 1903: with William Stephen Marchant (1868-1925) , London art dealer.
  • By 1904: owned by Richard Albert Canfield (1855-1914) ;
  • 1914: bought from Canfield by Knoedler's, New York art dealers, 12 March 1914;
  • 1914: sold to Stephen Carlton Clark (1882-1960) , New York, March 1914, but returned in February 1915;
  • 1915: bought in April from Knoedler's by Henry Clay Frick (1849-1919) ;
  • 1919: bequeathed to the Frick Collection, New York.

Exhibitions

  • 1881: Venice Pastels, Fine Art Society, London, 1881 (cat. no. 7) as 'The Little Back Canal'.
  • 1903-1904: Possibly Watercolours, Pastels, Drawings in Black and White, Sculptures and Bronzes By British and Foreign Artists Including A Selection of Works by H. B. Brabazon, and A Group of Works by the late James McNeill Whistler, W. Marchant & Co., Goupil Gallery, London, 1903 (cat. no. 174) and 1904 (at. no. 26) as 'The Little Bridge'.
  • 1905: Œuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 157) as 'The Ferry, Venice'.

Last updated: 10th February 2021 by Margaret