Before 1905: owned by
Louis Huth (1821-1905), London, possibly by 1886.
Date unknown: with Knoedler, art dealers, London and New York.
1937: bought in November from W. Macbeth, New York dealer, by
Martin Birnbaum (1878-1970) for
Grenville Lindell Winthrop (1864-1943)
1943: bequeathed to the Fogg Art Museum.
See further details in MacDonald 1995 (cat. rais.) [more]
(cat. no. 808).
Venice Pastels, Fine Art Society, London, 1881 (cat. no. 28) as 'The Storm – Sunset'.