Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > AnnA-1976 (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 297) as 'The Seashore'.
Authored by Whistler
'Notes' - 'Harmonies' - 'Nocturnes', Second Series, Messrs Dowdeswell, London, 1886 (not identified).
Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 104) as 'The Seashore'.
Books on Whistler
- Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The works of James McNeill Whistler, New York, 1913, p. 222 (cat. no. 447).
- Wilson, Philip (ed.), Art at Auction, Sotheby's and Parke-Bernet 1969-70, London 1970, repr. p. 124.
Spink, Nesta, Whistler: The Later Years, University of Michigan Art Gallery, Ann Arbor, 1978 (checklist, cat. no. 53).
Eitner, Lorenz (intro.) and Betsy G. Fryberger, Whistler: Themes and Variations, Stanford University Museum of Art, Stanford, 1978 (cat. no. 58).
- Eden sale, Christie's, London, 1 March 1918 (lot 164) as 'Green and Grey'.
- Sotheby's, London, 22 April 1970 (lot 204) as 'Green and Grey: The Seashore'.
- Sotheby Parke-Bernet, New York, 23 May 1974 (lot 41c).
Thomson, David Croal, Barbizon House: An Illustrated Record, London, 1919 (cat. no. 26) repr. as 'Green and Grey: the Seashore' .
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts website at https://collections.artsmia.org.
Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 411).
Last updated: 13th October 2020 by Margaret