Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > Chicago_1968 (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 411), plate 273, as 'Violet and Silver: A Deep Sea'.
Authored by Whistler
Fair Women, Grafton Galleries, London, 1894 (cat. no. 56) as 'Violet and Silver – A Deep Sea'.
Exposition Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Champ de Mars, Paris, 1894 (cat. no. 1181).
Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 33) as 'Violet and Silver – "Deep Sea" '.
100th Anniversary Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1905 (cat. no. 431) as 'Deep Sea'.
- Anon., Daily Telegraph & Courier (London), 20 January 1894, p. 6.
- Anon., 'The Grafton Gallery', Globe, London, 22 January 1894, p. 3.
- Anon., 'The Grafton Gallery', Pall Mall Gazette, London, 23 January 1894, p. 3.
- Anon., 'Art Notes', The Sketch, London, 7 February 1894, pp. 24-25.
'The Grafton Gallery Collection', The Art Journal, March 1894, pp. 88-89, at p. 89.
- Phillips, Claude, 'The Salons: Salon of the Champ de Mars’, Magazine of Art, vol. 17, 1894, pp. 379-84, at p. 381.
Geffroy, Gustave, 'Salon de 1894', Vie Artistique, vol. 4, 1895, pp. 140-44, at pp. 140-4l.
Books on Whistler
Eddy, Arthur Jerome, Recollections and Impressions of James A. McNeill Whistler, Philadelphia and London, 1903, pp. 274-75.
Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907, p. 160 (cat. no. 33).
- Barter, Judith A. et al, The Age of American Impressionism: Masterpieces from the Art
Institute of Chicago, Art Institute of Chicago/Yale University Press, 2011, no. 18.
- Clarke, Jay, and Sarah Kelly Oehler (eds), Whistler Paintings and Drawings at the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, 2020.
Sweet, Frederick A., James McNeill Whistler, Art Institute of Chicago and Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica, 1968 (cat. no. 40).
Spink, Nesta, Whistler: The Later Years, University of Michigan Art Gallery, Ann Arbor, 1978 (cat. no. 41).
Dorment, Richard, and Margaret F. MacDonald, James McNeill Whistler, Tate Gallery, London, Musée d’Orsay, Paris, and National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1994-1995 (cat. no. 153).
Merrill, Linda, et al., After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2003, p. 93 (not exhibited).
- Myers, Kenneth John, 'Whistler the "Quintessencier: Violet and Blue: Among the Rollers" and the Importance of the Late Small Oils', Bulletin of the Detroit Institute of Arts, Vol. 85, Nos 1-4, 2011, pp. 28-41, at p. 34. Online at https://www.journals.uchicago.edu.
- Art Institute of Chicago website at http://www.artic.edu (acc. 2019).
- Clarke, Jay A., and Sarah Kelly Oehler, eds., Whistler Paintings and Drawings at the Art Institute of Chicago, The Art Institute of Chicago, 2020, website.
- Strother, Stephanie L., 'Cat. 34 Violet and Silver—The Deep Sea, 1893: Curatorial Entry,' in Whistler Paintings and Drawings at the Art Institute of Chicago, The Art Institute of Chicago, 2020, URL.
- Muir, Kimberley, 'Cat. 34 Violet and Silver—The Deep Sea, 1893: Technical Summary,' in Whistler Paintings and Drawings at the Art Institute of Chicago, The Art Institute of Chicago, 2020, URL.
Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 403).
Parkerson, Sarah Lawrence, Variations in Gold: The Stylistic Development of the Picture Frames used by James McNeill Whistlers, PhD thesis, University of Glasgow, 2007.
Last updated: 7th June 2021 by Margaret