Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > Chicago_1934 (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 483), plate 311, as 'Harmony in Blue and Silver: Beaching the Boat, Étretat'.
Authored by Whistler
Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (de luxe edition) (cat. no. 55) repr. f.p. 70, as 'A Harmony in Blue and Silver' (described incorrectly as having blue sea and sky).
Books on Whistler
- Adams, Aron, James Whistler: His Palette, 2016.
Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907 (cat. no. 407), p. 217.
Sickert, Bernhard, Whistler, London and New York, 1908 (cat. no. 173), p. 173.
Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 2, repr. f.p. 184 as 'Beaching the Boat (Harmony in Blue and Silver)'.
- Stebbins, Theodore E., Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, ed., American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008, pp. 435-36 (cat. no. 462), repr.
- Henderson, Hunt, Etchings, Lithographs, Paintings and Drawings by James McNeill Whistler, Isaac Delgado Museum of Art, New Orleans, 1917 (cat. no. 112).
A Century of Progress: Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture, Art Institute, Chicago, 1934 (cat. no. 424) as 'Harmony in Blue and Silver: Beaching the Boat'.
Loan Exhibition of Paintings and Prints by James McNeill Whistler, courtesy of the
Henderson Family of New Orleans, Louisiana State University Museum of Art, Baton Rouge, 1937.
Master Paintings from the Fogg Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 1977.
For Students of Art and Lovers of Beauty: Highlights from the Collection of Grenville L.
Winthrop, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 2004.
- Anon., 'Studio Talk', Studio, vol. 49, February 1910, pp. 43-44, repr. p. 2 as 'Harmony in Blue and Silver: Beaching the Boat, Etretat'.
- Harvard Art Museums website at http://www.harvardartmuseums.org/art/230342.
Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 424).
Parkerson, Sarah Lawrence, Variations in Gold: The Stylistic Development of the Picture Frames used by James McNeill Whistlers, PhD thesis, University of Glasgow, 2007.
Last updated: 18th October 2020 by Margaret