Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > Buffalo_1911 (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 505), plate 351, as 'Rose et or: La Napolitaine'.
Authored by Whistler
14th Exhibition, Royal Society of Portrait Painters, London, 1904 (cat. no. 4) as 'Rose et Or: La Napolitaine'.
- Anon., Globe, London, 8 November 1904, p. 5.
- Anon., 'Great Masters', London Evening Standard, London, 9 November 1904, p. 2.
- Anon., Pall Mall Gazette, London, 11 November 1904, p. 12.
- Anon., Illustrated London News, London, 3 December 1904, pp. 2-3.
Books on Whistler
Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 2, p. 203.
Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Whistler Journal, Philadelphia, 1921, pp. 243-44, repr. f.p. 244.
- Berk, Jiminez Jill (ed.), Dictionary of Artists' Models, London, 2013, p. 469.
76th Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1907 (cat. no. 505) as 'La Napolitaine'.
Paintings in oil and pastel by James McNeill Whistler, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 65).
Oils, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings by James McNeill Whistler lent by Mr. Richard Canfield, Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, Buffalo, 1911 (cat. no. 4) repr. p. 14.
International Exhibition of Modern Art, Association of American Paintings and Sculpture, Armory of the 69th Infantry, New York, 1913 (cat. no. 48).
American Classics of the Nineteenth Century, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh;
Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica; Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, VA; Baltimore Museum of
Art; Currier Gallery of Art, Manchester, NH, 1957 (cat. no. 53).
Young, A. McLaren, James McNeill Whistler, Arts Council Gallery, London, and Knoedler Galleries, New York, 1960 (cat. no. 73).
- Christie's, London, 22 June 1962 (lot 20).
- Sotheby's, London, 12 April 1967 (lot 51).
- 'A Whistler from the Webster bequest', The Art Museum, Farnsworth Museum of Art, Bulletin, vol. 1, 1923, p. 18.
Abbott, Agnes, 'A Whistler from the Webster Bequest', Wellesley College Bulletin, The Art Museum, vol. 2, January 1936, pp. 6-7.
- Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza website at http://www.museothyssen.org.
Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 231).
Last updated: 7th June 2021 by Margaret