- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 131), plate 83, as 'Harmony in Grey and Peach Colour'.
Authored by Whistler
Mr Whistler's Exhibition, Flemish Gallery, 48 Pall Mall, London, 1874 (cat. no. 7) as 'Harmony in Grey and Peach Colour'.
- Possibly exhibited in I Summer Exhibition, Grosvenor Gallery, London, 1877.
- Anon., 'Exhibition of Mr Whistler's Paintings and Drawings, Pall Mall Gazette, London, 13 June 1874, p. 11.
On the Whistler v. Ruskin trial:
- Anon., 'Action for Libel against Mr. Ruskin', London Evening Standard, London, 26 November 1878, p. 2.
- Anon., 'Charge of Libel against Mr. Ruskin', Morning Post, London, 26 November 1878, p. 3.
- Anon., 'Mr Whistler's Exhibition', The Builder, vol. 32, 25 July 1874, p. 622.
On the Grosvenor Gallery, 1877:
- [Rossetti, William Michael], 'The Grosvenor Gallery', The Academy: A Weekly Review of Literature, Science, and Art, new series, no. 11, 26 May 1877, pp. 467-68, at p. 467.
- Wilde, Oscar, 'The Grosvenor Gallery', Dublin University Magazine, vol. 90, no. 535, July 1877, pp. 118-26, at p. 124.
Books on Whistler
- MacDonald, Margaret F., in Ruth E. Fine (ed.), James McNeill Whistler: A Reexamination, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1987, pp. 13-14, repr fig. 1, p. 13.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, p. 258.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Whistler Journal, Philadelphia, 1921, pp. 134-35, repr. f.p. 134, chalk drawing 'Attributed to Whistler' repr. f.p. 135.
- Preston, Stuart, Whistler, New York, NY, 1971.
- Spink, Nesta R., Harriet K. Stratis, and Martha Tedeschi, The Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler, (gen. eds, Harriet K. Stratis and Martha Tedeschi), 2 vols., Chicago, 1998, vol. 2, note 171.2, p. 154.
- Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, p. 72.
- Sutton, Denys, James McNeill Whistler: Paintings, Etchings, Pastels and Watercolours, London, 1966, repr. pl. 63.
- Way, Thomas Robert, and G. R. Dennis, The Art of James McNeill Whistler: An Appreciation, 1st edition, London, 1903, pp. 26-27, 90, pastel repr. f.p. 26.
- Way, Thomas Robert, Memories of James McNeill Whistler, the Artist, London and New York, 1912, pp. 135-37, photo lithograph repr. f.p. 139.
- Burgard, Timothy Anglin, American Art at Harvard: Cultures and Contexts, brochure, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, MA, 1994, p. 12 (cat. no. 86).
- Henri, Robert, The Art Spirit, Philadelphia, PA and London, 1923, p. 275.
- Weinberg, Jonathan, Amibition and Love in Modern American Art,, Yale University Press, New Haven, 2001, p. 26.
- Stebbins, Theodore E., Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, eds, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard University Art Museums/Yale University Press, Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008, pp. 405-08 (cat. no. 435), repr. p. 407.
3rd Exhibition of Fair Women, International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, Grafton Galleries, London, 1910 (cat. no. 43) as 'A Lady in White'.
American Painting in the Braun Collection, Pennsylvania Museum of Art, Philadelphia, 1930.
- Rich, Daniel Catton, Catalogue of a Century of Progress: Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture Lent from American Collections, The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, 1933 (cat. no. 434).
A Century of Progress: Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture, Art Institute of Chicago,
1934 (cat. no. 434).
Master Paintings from the Fogg Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, MA, 1977.
- Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art, New York and London, 1984, repr. fig. 240.3, p. 255 (not exhibited).
American Art at Harvard: Cultures and Contexts, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, MA, 1994.
The Persistence of Memory: Continuity and Change in American Cultures, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 1995-2001.
- Kitazaki, Chikashi, ed., Between Reality and Dreams: Nineteenth Century British and French Art from the Winthrop Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, National Museum of Western Art, Ueno, Japan, 2002, pp. 222-23 (cat. no. 70), repr.
- Wolohojian, Stephan, Ingres, Burne-Jones, Whistler, Renoir... La Collection Grenville L. Winthrop, Musée des Beaux-Arts de Lyon and Réunion des Musées Nationaux, Paris, 2003, pp. 484-85 (cat. no. 213), repr.
- Wolohojian, Stephan, ed., A Private Passion: 19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Collection, Harvard University, Cambridge, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 2003-2004, pp. 468-69 (cat. no. 213), repr.
For Students of Art and Lovers of Beauty: Highlights from the Collection of Grenville L. Winthrop, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 2004.
- Fahlman, Betsy, Kraushaar Galleries: Celebrating 125 Years, Kraushaar Galleries, New York, 2010, detail, p. 6, repr. p. 9.
- Sotheby's, London, 25 July 1916 (lot 77) as 'The White Girl'.
- McBride, Henry, 'Exhibitions at the New York Galleries', Fine Arts Journal, Chicago, 1917, pp. 134-42, 144-48, at pp. 137-39, repr. f.p. 134 as 'Girl in White'.
- Watts, Harvey M., 'The John F. Braun Collection of American Art', Arts & Decoration, vol. 25, July 1926, pp. 46-47, 77, repr. p. 47 as 'The White Girl'.
- Ferrargill Galleries advert, Art Digest, 1 January 1938.
- Heartney, Eleanor, 'What's Wrong with Beauty?', Independent Curators Inc., Winter 1987, vol. 2.
- Harvard Art Museums website at http://www.harvardartmuseums.org/art/230025.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 34) 'White girl No: 4 / White Woman'.
- Parkerson, Sarah Lawrence, Variations in Gold: The Stylistic Development of the Picture Frames used by James McNeill Whistlers, PhD thesis, University of Glasgow, 2007.