Home > Catalogue > Browse > Crimson note: Carmen << >>
- Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 441), plate 288, as 'Crimson note: Carmen'.
Authored by Whistler
5th exhibition, Society of Portrait Painters, London, 1895 (cat. no. 16) as 'Crimson Note, Carmen'.
Second Annual Exhibition, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1897 (cat. no. 235) as 'A Note in Carmine'.
Sixty-Seventh Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1898 (cat. no. 460) as 'A Note in Carmine'.
Twentieth Annual Exhibition of the Society of American Artists at the Galleries of the American Fine Arts Society, New York, 1898 (cat. no. 338) as 'A Note in Carmine'.
Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 38) as 'Carmine'.
- Anon, 'Latest News. From Private Correspondence', The Scotsman, Edinburgh, 11 October 1895, p. 5.
- Anon, 'Society of Portrait Painters', Graphic, London, 19 October 1895, p. 19.
Books on Whistler
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 2, pp. 166, 203, 228.
- Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Whistler Journal, Philadelphia, 1921, p. 73.
- Sutherland, Daniel E., Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake, New Haven and London, 2014, p. 293.
- Young, A. McLaren, James McNeill Whistler, Arts Council Gallery, London, and Knoedler Galleries, New York, 1960 (cat. no. 73).
- Merrill, Linda, et al., After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2003, p. 93 (not exhibited).
- Hill-Stead website at http://www.hillstead.org.
- Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 232b).
Last updated: 21st November 2020 by Margaret