Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > London_1889a (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 230), plate 145, as 'Portrait of Lady Meux in Furs'.
MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995 (cat. nos. 853, 993).
Authored by Whistler
Hawthorne, Mrs Julian [May Albertina], 'Mr. Whistler’s New Portraits', Harper’s Bazaar, 15 October 1881, pp. 658-59, at p. 658.
Books on Whistler
MacDonald, Margaret F., Susan Galassi, Aileen Ribeiro, and Patricia de Montfort, Whistler, Women and Fashion, New Haven and London, 2003, pp. 176-78, 208, repr. fig. 170.
Menpes, Mortimer, Whistler as I Knew Him, London, 1904, drawing repr. f.p. xx.
Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, pp. 301-02.
Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 5th (revised) edition, London and Philadelphia, 1911, p. 210.
Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, pp. 388-89.
Way, Thomas Robert, and G. R. Dennis, The Art of James McNeill Whistler: An Appreciation, 1st edition, London, 1903, p. 47.
Way, Thomas Robert, Memories of James McNeill Whistler, the Artist, London and New York, 1912, pp. 65-66, 137.
Montesquiou, Robert de, Les Pas effacés: Mémoires, 3 vols, Paris, 1923, p. 255.
The Frick Collection (ed.), Paintings: American, British, Dutch, Flemish and German,, vol. 1, Princeton, 1968, pp. 18, 20.
- 'The Lost Lady: What became of a Whistler', The Graphic, 25 March 1911, p. 18, 'A caricature of Whistler painting simultaneously his three portraits of Lady Meux' by C. H. E. Brookfield repr.
- Sickert, Walter R., 'Where Paul and I differ', Art News, No. 14, 10 February 1910, p. 113.
Sutton, Denys, ‘Whistler and Lady Meux’, Journal of the Honolulu Academy of Arts, 1974, pp. 36-43, at pp. 42-43, repr. p. 40.
- Anon., 'Lady Meux's Will. The Missing Portrait by Whistler', The Times, London, 11 January 1910, p. 8.
- Anon., 'Lady Meux's Will', Westminster Gazette, London, 11 January 1911, p. 5.
- J. and E. R. Pennell, letter to the Editor, 11 January 1911, in The Times, London, 12 January 1911, p. 8.
- R. Birnie Philip, letter to the Editor, 13 January 1911, in The Times, London, 14 January 1911, p. 8.
Illustrated London News, London, 21 January 1911, drawing repr. p. 89.
Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat.no. 160).
Last updated: 14th November 2020 by Margaret