Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > Munich_1892 (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 66), plate 39, as 'Blue and Silver: Trouville'.
Authored by Whistler
- Whistler, James McNeill, 'Fine-Art Gossip,' [Letter to the Editor], The Athenaeum, no. 2404, 22 November 1873, p. 666. Reprinted under 'Titles a key to my work', in Whistler, James McNeill, The Gentle Art of Making Enemies, London, 1890, p. 55.
[Whistler, James McNeill, and Goupil Gallery (eds)], Nocturnes, Marines & Chevalet Pieces: Small Collection Kindly Lent by Their Owners, London, 1892 (cat. no. 37) as 'Blue and Silver'.
Sixth Exhibition of the Society of French Artists [Summer Exhibition], Deschamps Gallery, London, 1873 (cat. no. 110) as 'The Yacht Race - A Symphony in B sharp'.
Exposition Internationale de Peinture, Galerie George Petit, Paris, 1883 (cat. no. 4) as 'Harmonie en bleu et argent'.
Nocturnes, Marines & Chevalet Pieces, Goupil Gallery, London, 1892 (cat. no. 37) as 'Blue and Silver' (see Blue and Silver
VI. Internationale Kunst-Ausstellung, Königlicher Glaspalast, Munich, 1892 (cat. no. 1950b) as 'Symphonie in Silber'.
World's Columbian Exposition, Department of Fine Arts, Chicago, 1893 (cat. no. 768) as 'Harmony in Blue and Silver'.
2nd Exhibition, Pictures, Drawings, Prints and Sculptures, International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, London, 1899 (cat. no. 135) as 'Blue and Silver, Trouville', (de luxe edition), repr. f.p. 16.
Copley Society (ed.), Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels & Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 51).
Exposition des œuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l’École des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 60).
- Anon., 'Winter Exhibitions', Illustrated London News, London, 15 November 1873, p. 24.
- Anon., 'International Art Exhibition', Globe, London, 9 May 1899, p. 5.
- Anon., Westminster Gazette, London, 10 May 1899, p. 4.
- Anon., Pall Mall Gazette, London, 10 May 1899, pp. 1-2.
- Anon., 'At Knightsbridge', Daily Telegraph & Courier (London), London, 10 May 1899, p. 10.
- Anon., 'The international Society's Exhibition', Gentlewoman, London, 20 May 1899, p. 34.
- Anon., "Ladies' Column", Western Times, Devon, p. 4.
The Athenaeum, 8 November 1873, p. 601.
- Whistler, J., letter to the Editor, The Athenaeum, 22 November 1873, p. 666.
- Chesneau, Ernest, 'Le Japonisme dans les arts', Musée Universel, vol. 2, 1873, pp. 214-18, at p. 216.
- Matsuki, Bunkio (ed.), 'Whistler Memorial Exhibition', Lotus, In Memoriam: James A. McNeill Whistler, (Special Holiday Number), vol. 1, no. 1, December 1903, pp. 7-9, at p. 9.
Books on Whistler
Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907, p. 164 (cat. no. 51).
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'Joanna Hiffernan and James Whistler: an Artistic Partnership' in Margaret F. MacDonald (ed.), The Woman in White: Joanna Hiffernan and James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and Washington, 2020, pp. 15-31.
Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, pp. 115-16, 563.
Robins, Anna Gruetzner, A Fragile Modernism. Whistler and his Impressionist Followers, London and New Haven, 2007, pp. 19-21, repr. p. 20.
Singletary, Suzanne M., James McNeill Whistler and France: A Dialogue in Paint, Poetry, and Music, London and New York, 2017, p. 63.
Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, p. 51.
Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art, New York and London, 1984, pp. 118, 292, pl. 21.
Stubbs, Burns A., Paintings, Pastels, Drawings, Prints and Copper Plates by and attributed to American and European Artists, together with a List of Original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1948, p. 15 (02.137).
- Exhibition of Oriental and American Art, under the joint auspices of the Alumni Memorial Committee and the Ann Arbor Art Association, Alumni Memorial Hall, University of Michigan, 1910 (cat. no. 74).
Selection of Art Objects from The Freer Collection, National Museum, Washington, DC, 1912 (cat. no. 17).
Dreyfus, Albert, 'James Abbott MacNeill Whistler', Die Kunst für Alle, 1907, vol. 22, pp. 201-16, repr. p. 212.
Arts Magazine, vol. 62, issues 1-2, 1987, repr. fig. 13.
- Freer Gallery of Art website at https://asia.si.edu/object/F1902.137a-b.
Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 387).
Parkerson, Sarah Lawrence, Variations in Gold: The Stylistic Development of the Picture Frames used by James McNeill Whistlers, PhD thesis, University of Glasgow, 2007.
Last updated: 3rd December 2020 by Margaret