Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > Paris_1883a (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 64), plate 38 as 'Harmony in Blue and Silver: Trouville'.
Authored by Whistler
Loan Exhibition of Pictures by Modern Painters, Copley Society, Boston, 1898 (cat. no. 90) as 'Courbet on the Beach'.
- Tsui, Aileen, 'Harmony in Blue and Silver: Trouville,' in Alan Chong et al., (eds), Eye of the Beholder, Boston, 2003, pp. 198-99.
Books on Whistler
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'Joanna Hiffernan and James Whistler: an Artistic Partnership' in Margaret F. MacDonald (ed.), The Woman in White: Joanna Hiffernan and James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and Washington, 2020, pp. 15-31.
Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, p. 134; vol. 2, pp. 129-30.
Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, pp. 116, 477, 533, 542-43, 546, 562, 693.
Sickert, Bernhard, Whistler, London and New York, 1908, p. 148.
Singletary, Suzanne M., James McNeill Whistler and France: A Dialogue in Paint, Poetry, and Music, London and New York, 2017, p. 64.
Sutherland, Daniel E., Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake, New Haven and London, 2014, pp. 93, 261-62.
Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, p. 51.
Carter, Morris, Isabella Stewart Gardner and Fenway Court, Boston and New York, 1925, pp. 135-36.
- Lago, Mary (ed.), Rothenstein, William, Men and Memories: Recollections, 1872-1938, London, 1978, pp. 53-54, 203-04, n. 10.
Ludovici, Anthony, An Artist's Life in London and Paris 1870-1925, New York, 1926, pp. 89-90.
Ono, Ayako, Japonisme in Britain: Whistler, Menpes, Henry, Hornel and nineteenth-century Japan, London, 2003, p. 72.
Reff, Theodore, The Notebooks of Edgar Degas, 2 vols, Oxford, 1976, p. 19.
- Riat, Georges, Gustave Courbet, Paris, 1906, pp. 228-29.
Rothenstein, William, Men and Memories: Recollections of William Rothenstein ..., 2 vols, London, 1931-1932, vol. 1, pp. 95-96.
Tharp, Louise Hall, Mrs Jack: a Biography of Isabella Stewart Gardner, Boston and Toronto, 1965, pp. 167-68.
- Hendy, Philip, Catalogue of the Exhibited Paintings and Drawings, The Isabella Stewart
Gardner Museum, Boston, 1931, repr. p. 416.
- Hendy, Philip, European and American Paintings, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston, 1974, pp. 290-91.
Dorment, Richard, and Margaret F. MacDonald, James McNeill Whistler, Tate Gallery, London, Musée d’Orsay, Paris, and National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1994-1995 (cat. no. 41).
Merrill, Linda, et al., After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2003, pp. 31 note 111, 108 (not in exhibition).
- Isabella Stewart Gardner museum website at http://www.gardnermuseum.org.
Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 379).
Last updated: 26th November 2020 by Margaret