Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > Philadelphia_1902 (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 378), plate 242, as 'Mother of Pearl and Silver: The Andalusian'.
Authored by Whistler
Exposition Universelle, Grand Palais, Paris, 1900 (cat. no. 46) as 'Mother-of-Pearl and Silver – The Andalusian'.
- Fine Arts Exhibit of the United States of America, Exposition Universelle, Paris, 1900 (cat. no. 103) as 'Mother-of-Pearl and Silver – The Andalusian.'
Seventy-first Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1902 (cat. no. 49) as 'The Andalusian'.
Twenty-fourth Annual Exhibition, Society of American Artists, New York, 1902 (cat. no. 21) as 'L'Andalusienne'.
Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 46) as 'L'Andalusienne'.
Œuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 25) as 'L'Andalouse'.
- Anon., 'The Paris Exhibition. Foreign Art', Morning Post, London, 10 May 1900, p. 5.
- Anon., 'Our Paris Letter. Foreign Art at the Exhibition', Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, 22 May 1900, p. 10.
- Anon., Daily Chronicle, London, 6 October 1900.
- 'The Grand Prix for Painting at the Paris Exhibition – A Protest,' Magazine of Art, November 1900, p. 1.
- 'Mr Whistler and the Paris Exhibition' in 'Chronicle of Art – February,' Magazine of Art, February 1901, p. 189.
Anon., ‘Дж. Уистлер - 4 портрета [Dzh. Uistler, 4 Portraits]’, Мир искусства [Mir Iskusstva, 'World of Art'], vol. 8, 1902, pp. 155-59, repr. p. 156.
Bénédite, Léonce, L'Oeuvre de James MacNeill Whistler, Paris, 1905, repr. pl. 21.
Books on Whistler
Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907, p. 163 (cat. no. 46).
Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler: Uneasy Pieces, New York, 2004, p. 392, note 9.
Duret, Théodore, Histoire de J. McN. Whistler et de son oeuvre, Paris, 1904, p. 206 (also in 1917 edition, p. 206).
- Lechien, Isabelle Enaud, James Whistler: le peintre et le polémiste (1834-1903), Tours,
1995, p. 174.
MacDonald, Margaret F., Susan Galassi, Aileen Ribeiro, and Patricia de Montfort, Whistler, Women and Fashion, New Haven and London, 2003, pp. 38, 186, 196, 204-05, 207-08, repr. fig. 206.
Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 2, pp. 158, 251.
- Schlossman, Beryl, Objects of Desire: The Madonnas of Modernism, Ithaca and London, 1999.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk, Comparisons in Art: A Companion to the National Gallery of Art,
Washington, DC, London, 1957 (reprinted 1959), pl. 88, as 'L'Andalouse'.
- Smith, Ann Y., Hidden in Plain Sight: The Whittemore Collection and the French Impressionists, Garnet Hill Publishing Co. and Mattatuck Historical Society, 2009, pp. 55, 92.
- Williams, William James, A heritage of American paintings from the National Gallery of Art, 1981, p. 131, repr. 154, as 'L'Andalouse, Mother-of-Pearl and Silver'.
- Wilmerding, John, American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1980, p. 112, repr.
- Wilmerding, John, American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, revised edition, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1988, p. 142, repr., as 'L'Andalouse, Mother-of-Pearl and Silver'.
- Walker, John, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish), p. 328, repr., as 'L'Andalouse'.
American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1970, p. 120, repr., as 'L'Andalouse, Mother-of-Pearl and Silver'.
American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue, National Gallery of Art, Washington,
DC, 1980, p. 257, repr., as 'L'Andalouse, Mother-of-Pearl and Silver'.
- Walker, John, National Gallery of Art, Washington, revised edition, New York, 1984, p. 561 (cat. no. 852), repr.
American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1992, p. 381, repr.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles, American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue, Washington, DC, 1998, pp. 248-52, repr.
Paintings in oil and pastel by James McNeill Whistler, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1910 (cat. no. 33) as 'L'Andalusienne: Mother of Pearl and Silver'.
Oils, Water-colors, Drawings and Prints by James McNeill Whistler, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1934 (cat. no. 5) as 'L'Andalusienne'.
A Century of Progress: Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture, Art Institute of Chicago,
1934 (cat. no. 417), repr., as 'L'Andalouse, Mother of Pearl and Silver'.
American Painting from 1860 until Today, Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, 1937 (cat. no. 208), repr., as 'L'Andalusienne'.
Exhibition of Paintings, The Tuttle House, Naugatuck, Connecticut, 1938 (cat. no. 37).
Survey of American Painting, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1940 (cat. no. 138), as
Paintings from the Whittemore Collection, Mattatuck Historical Society, Waterbury,
La Pintura de Los Estados Unidos de Museos de la Ciudad de Washington, Museo del
Palacio de Bellas Artes, Mexico City, 1980-1981 (cat. no. 19), repr.
Dorment, Richard, and Margaret F. MacDonald, James McNeill Whistler, Tate Gallery, London, Musée d’Orsay, Paris, and National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1994-1995 (cat. no. 196), pp. 275-76.
- Quesada, Luis, Pintores Españoles y Extranjeros en Andalucia,, Sevilla, 1996 (cat. no.
James McNeill Whistler, Walter Richard Sickert, Sala de Exposiciones de la Fundación 'la Caixa', Madrid, 1998 (cat. no. 16).
Paris 1900: 'The American School' at the Universal Exposition, 4 venues, shown only at 2nd and 3rd, Museum of American Art of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia; Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, 1999-2001 (cat. no. 27).
Merrill, Linda, et al., After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2003, p. 136, repr. fig. 92, p. 247 note 63 (not exhibited).
Andreeva, Galina, and Margaret F. MacDonald, Whistler and Russia, State Tretyakow Gallery, Moscow, 2006, p. 56 (not exhibited).
- Gray, Anne, and Ann Galbally, The Edwardians: Secrets and Desires, National Gallery of Australia, Canberra; Art Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide, 2004 (cat. no. 144).
Hackney, Stephen, 'Art for Art's Sake: The Materials and Techniques of James McNeill Whistler (1834-1903)', in: Wallert, Arie, Erma Hermens, and Marja Peek (eds), Preprints: Historical Painting Techniques, Materials, and Studio Practice. Preprints of a symposium [held at] University of Leiden, the Netherlands, 26-29 June 1995, Lawrence, Kansas, 1995, pp. 186-90, at p. 186.
Newton, Joy, and Margaret F. MacDonald, 'Whistler: Search for a European Reputation', Zeitschrift fur Kunstgeschichte, vol. 41, 1978, pp. 148-59.
MacDonald, Margaret F., and Joy Newton, 'Correspondence Duret-Whistler', Gazette des beaux-arts, November 1987, pp. 150-64.
- National Gallery of Art website at https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.12197.html.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., Whistler, James (Abbott) McNeill', Grove Art Online, Oxford University Press, 1999.
Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 205).
Last updated: 19th April 2021 by Margaret