By 1898: owned by Goupil's, London art dealers;
1899: sold to
Charles Lang Freer (1856-1919)
1919: bequeathed to the Freer Gallery of Art.
Further details are given in MacDonald 1995 (cat. rais.) [more]
(cat. no. 682).
Pictures, Drawings, Bronzes, Pottery, Antique Furniture, Decorative Metal Work, &c, Goupil Gallery, at Howard Gallery, Sheffield, 1898 (cat. no. 58) as 'Portrait of the Artist'.
Due to the terms of Freer's will, the drawing can not be lent to another venue.