William Stephen Marchant (1868-1925)
, London art dealer.
By 1904: owned by
Richard Albert Canfield (1855-1914)
1914: bought from Canfield by Knoedler's, New York art dealers, 12 March 1914;
1914: sold to
Stephen Carlton Clark (1882-1960)
, New York, March 1914, but returned in February 1915;
1915: bought from Knoedler's by
Henry Clay Frick (1849-1919)
1919: bequeathed to the Frick Collection, New York.
Venice Pastels, Fine Art Society, London, 1881 (cat. no. 36) 'The Cemetery'.
Watercolours, Pastels, Drawings in Black and White, Sculptures and Bronzes By British and Foreign Artists Including A Selection of Works by H. B. Brabazon, and A Group of Works by the late James McNeill Whistler, W. Marchant & Co., Goupil Gallery, London, 1903 (cat. no. 171) and 1904 (cat. no. 22) as 'The Cemetery, Venice'.
Œuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 155).
For further details of History, see MacDonald 1995 (cat. rais.) [more]
(cat. no. 738).