1914: with Kennedy, New York dealers.
Before 1935: owned by
Henry Harper Benedict (1844-1935)
1935: bequeathed to his widow,
Katherine Geddes Benedict (1879-1961)
, and daughter, Mrs James Douglass Sharpe;
1962: sold at auction, Sotheby's, London, 21 November 1962 (lot 11, repr.) and bought by Graham, New York art dealer, for
Joseph Herman Hirshhorn (1899-1981)
1966: given to the Hirschhorn Museum.
The early provenance is not known. 1
Venice Pastels, Fine Art Society, London, 1881 (cat. no. 5) as 'The Tobacco Warehouse'.