By 1912: owned by
William Bradhurst Osgood Field (1870-1947)
1947: by descent to a private collector;
2000: sold at auction, Sotheby's, New York, 24 May 2000 (lot 6).
2002: acquired by the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts with J. Harwood and Louise B. Cochrane Fund for American Art.
The early provenance is unknown.
Venice Pastels, Fine Art Society, London, 1881 (cat. no. 1) as 'Sotto Portico, San Giacomo'.