By 1886: probably bought by
Ross Revillon Winans (1850-1912)
, Baltimore, Maryland.
By 1915: owned by
Marshall Field III (1893-1956)
By 1938: owned by his ex-wife, Evelyn M. Field, later
Mrs Diego Suarez (1888–1979)
1962: bought from F. W. Woolworth on 23 March by Knoedler's, New York dealers;
1963: bought from the William A. Coulter Fund by Westmoreland Museum of Art, 9 April 1963.
For further details see MacDonald 1995 (cat. rais.) [more]
(cat. no. 778).
Venice Pastels, Fine Art Society, London, 1881 (cat. no. 20) as 'Canal, San Canciano'.