By 1905: owned by
John Postle Heseltine (1843-1929)
1926: 'Calle Venise' bought by Colnaghi, London dealers (a/c A48805), and sold to Kennedy, New York dealers, on 16 July;
1927: bought from
Alphonse Kann (1870-1948)
, art dealer, through
Martin Birnbaum (1878-1970), by
Grenville Lindell Winthrop (1864-1943)
, 1 December 1927;
1943: bequeathed to the Fogg Art Museum.
For further details see MacDonald 1995 (cat. rais.) [more]
(cat. no. 791).
Venice Pastels, Fine Art Society, London, 1881 (cat. no. 24) as 'Behind the Arsenal'.
Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 60).
Œuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 159).