Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > Philadelphia_1905 (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 249), plate 166, as 'Street in Old Chelsea'.
Authored by Whistler
'Notes' - 'Harmonies' - 'Nocturnes', Messrs Dowdeswell, London, 1884 (cat. no. 42) as 'Harmony in Yellow and Brown – Sunday'.
Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 72) as 'Street in Old Chelsea'.
100th Anniversary Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1905 (cat. no. 427) as 'A Street in Old Chelsea'.
- M. B., “Pennsylvania Academy Exhibition,” The Collector and Art Critic, vol. 3, no. 1, 15 February 1905, p. 8.
Books on Whistler
Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, p. 377.
Robins, Anna Gruetzner, A Fragile Modernism. Whistler and his Impressionist Followers, London and New Haven, 2007, p. 129.
Taylor, Hilary, James McNeill Whistler, London, 1978, repr. pp. 163, repr. p. 164.
Hausberg, Margaret Dunwoody, The Prints of Theodore Roussel: A Catalogue Raisonné, Bronxville, New York, 1991.
- Hendy, Philip, CCCXXI Reproductions : Selected Oil and Tempera Paintings and Pastels,
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1932, repr. p. 83.
American Paintings in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Greenwich, CT, 1969, vol. 1, p. 286.
Taynton, Carol (intro.), Whistler in New England Collections, [checklist], Boston, 1977 (no cat. number).
Myers, Kenneth John, Mr. Whistler’s Gallery: Pictures at an 1884 Exhibition, Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2003, pp. 19, 57, 86.
- M. B., “Pennsylvania Academy Exhibition,” The Collector and Art Critic 3, no. 1, 15
February 1905, p. 8.
Anon., Boston Museum of Fine Arts Bulletin, March 1903, p. 4.
Anon., Boston Museum of Fine Arts Bulletin, April 1907, p. 16.
- Comey, Janet L, "Street in Old Chelsea", Museum of Fine Arts website at http://www.mfa.org.
- Hausberg, Meg, and Victoria Sancho Lobis, Whistler and Roussel: Linked Visions, Art Institute of Chicago, 2015, URL at https://www.artic.edu.
- Margaret F. MacDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock, James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonné, University of Glasgow, 2012 (cat. no. 267) website at http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk.
- Photograph of the painting at the Library of Congress website at https://catalog.loc.gov.
Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 370).
Last updated: 7th June 2021 by Margaret