Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > Kyoto-2014 (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 278), plate 188, as 'Cliffs and Breakers'.
Authored by Whistler
'Notes' - 'Harmonies' - 'Nocturnes', Messrs Dowdeswell, London, 1884 (cat. no. 37) as 'The Green Headland'.
Books on Whistler
Taylor, Hilary, James McNeill Whistler, London, 1978, pp. 156-57, pl. 108.
- Cross, Tom, Painting the Warmth of the Sun, Penzance and Guildford, 1984, p. 17, pl. 11.
- Cross, Tom, The Shining Sands. Artists in Newlyn and St. Ives 1880-1930, Westcountry Books and the Lutterworth Press, 1994, p. 89.
- Davies, Peter, The St Ives Years, Essays on the growth of an artistic phenomenon, Wimborne, 1984, p. 7.
Prélude à Whistler, Centre culturel américain, Paris, 1961 (cat. no. 8) as 'Falaise et ecueils'.
Spencer, Robin, James McNeill Whistler (1834-1903), Nationalgalerie, Berlin, 1969 (cat. no. 39) as 'Klippe und Brecher mit offenem Meer'.
Pickvance, Ronald, James McNeill Whistler (1834-1903): An Exhibition of Works from the University of Glasgow Collection, Nottingham University Art Gallery, Nottingham, 1970 (cat. no. 7) as 'Open Sea with Cliffs and Breakers', repr. fig. 61, painting by Sickert repr. fig. 62.
Young, A. McLaren, Glasgow University's Pictures, Colnaghi, London, 1973 (cat. no. 87).
Sutton, Denys, and Martin Hopkinson, ホイスラー展. Whistler Exhibition in Japan, Tokyo, 1987 (cat. no. 16).
- Taylor, Hilary, British Impressionism, Nottingham Castle Museum, 1989 (cat. no. 2), pp. 36, 42, 63.
- Baron, Wendy, Andrew Dempsey et al., James McNeill Whistler, Walter Richard Sickert, 'Fundación 'La Caixa', Madrid, and Museo de Bellas Artes, Bilbao, 1998.
Myers, Kenneth John, Mr. Whistler’s Gallery: Pictures at an 1884 Exhibition, Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2003, pp. 29, 91, repr. p. 29 (not in exhibition).
Ayako Ono, ホイッスラー展. James McNeill Whistler Retrospective, National Museum of Modern Art, Kyōto, 2014, and Yokohama Museum of Art, 2014–2015 (cat. no. 82).
Farr, Dennis, 'Recent Museum Acquisitions, University of Glasgow Art Collections', The Burlington Magazine, vol. 112, January 1970, pp. 48, 50-51, at pp. 48, 50, Sickert painting repr. fig. 62.
- The Hunterian website at http://collections.gla.ac.uk/#/details/ecatalogue/41297.
- Art UK website at www.art.co.uk.
Parkerson, Sarah Lawrence, Variations in Gold: The Stylistic Development of the Picture Frames used by James McNeill Whistlers, PhD thesis, University of Glasgow, 2007.
Last updated: 23rd May 2021 by Margaret