Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > Edinburgh_1904 (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 490), plate 316.
Authored by Whistler
3rd Exhibition, Pictures, Drawings, Prints and Sculptures, International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, Galleries of the Royal Institute, London, 1901 (cat. no. 37) as 'Purple and Gold – Phryne the Superb! – Builder of Temples'.
Douzième Exposition, Ouvrages de Peintures, Sculpture, Dessin, Gravure, Architecture et Objets d'Art, Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Grand Palais, Paris, 1902 (cat. no. 1194).
V Esposizione Internazionale d'Arte della Città di Venezia, Venice, 1903 (cat. no. 39).
78th Exhibition of the Royal Scottish Academy of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, 1904 (cat. no. 328).
The Inaugural Loan Collection of Paintings, Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, Buffalo, 1905 (cat. no. 165).
- Anon., 'The International Society', Globe, London, 10 October 1901, p. 6. '
- Anon., 'Royal Institute Galleries', London Daily News, London, 12 October 1901, p. 6.
- Anon., 'The International Society', London Evening Standard, London, 10 October 1901, p. 2.
- Anon., Truth, London, 10 October 1901, p. 43.
- Anon., 'Pictures of the New Salon', Cheltenham Looker-On, Cheltenham, 26 April 1902, pp. 11-12.
- Anon., 'Our Paris Letter. Paintings and Sculpture', Western Mail, Glamorgan, 17 May 1902, p. 8.
- 'To the Editor of the Morning Post', Morning Post, London, 7 October 1901, p. 6.
- Anon, Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, Leeds, 7 October 1901, p. 4.
- 'Fine Arts. The International Society's Exhibition', The Athenaeum, London, 2 November 1901, pp. 601-02 at p. 601.
Books on Whistler
Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907 (cat. no. 491), p. 228.
Merrill, Linda, With Kindest Regards. The Correspondence of Charles Lang Freer and James McNeill Whistler, 1890-1903, Washington, DC, and London, 1995, p. 215.
Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 2, pp. 205-06.
Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Whistler Journal, Philadelphia, 1921, pp. 217, 243, repr. f.p. 218.
Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, p. 133.
Sutton, Denys, James McNeill Whistler: Paintings, Etchings, Pastels and Watercolours, London, 1966, repr. pl. 115.
Walker, John, James McNeill Whistler, New York, 1987, p. 138.
- Hook, Bailly Van, Angels of Art: Women and Art in American Society, 1876-1914, 1997,
Penn State University Press.
Lawton, Thomas, Freer: a Legacy of Art, Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, 1993, p. 50, fig. 35.
Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art, New York and London, 1984, pp. 153, 296, pl. 62.
Stubbs, Burns A., Paintings, Pastels, Drawings, Prints and Copper Plates by and attributed to American and European Artists, together with a List of Original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1948, p. 14 (02.115).
Selection of Art Objects from The Freer Collection, National Museum, Washington, DC, 1912 (cat. no. 9).
Hobbs, Susan, 'A Connoisseur's Vision: The American Collection of Charles Lang Freer', American Art Review, vol. 4, August 1977, pp. 76-101, at p. 96.
Ionides, Luke, 'Memories: Whistler in the Quartier Latin', Transatlantic Review, vol. 1, January 1924, pp. 37-52, at p. 51.
James McNeill Whistler in Context: Essays from the Whistler Centenary Symposium, University of Glasgow, 2003, vol. 2, Washington, 2008, p. 22, fig. 2.2.
- Freer Gallery of Art website at https://asia.si.edu/object/F1902.115a-b.
Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 268).
Parkerson, Sarah Lawrence, Variations in Gold: The Stylistic Development of the Picture Frames used by James McNeill Whistlers, PhD thesis, University of Glasgow, 2007.
Last updated: 17th December 2020 by Margaret