Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 500), plate 322, as 'Blue and Coral: The Little Blue Bonnet'.
Authored by Whistler
Exhibition of International Art, International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, Knightsbridge, London, 1898 (cat. no. 182) as 'Blue and Coral – The Little Blue Bonnet'; de luxe edition, p. 22, repr. frontispiece.
1st World of Art Exhibition, Schtiglitz School, Saint Petersburg, 1899 (cat. no.279) as 'Девочка въ голубомъ' ['Devochka b golubom', girl in blue].
Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 8) as 'The Little Blue Bonnet' and 'The Little Blue Bonnet, Blue and Coral' in ordinary and deluxe editions respectively.
- Anon., 'Exhibition of International Art', The Times, London, 16 May 1898, p. 12.
- 'H. S.', 'International Art at Knightsbridge', The Spectator, London, 18 June 1898, vol. 80, p. 859.
- 'The Souvenir Catalogue of the Exhibition of International Art at Knightsbridge',
Academy, 10 December 1898, repr. p. 417.
- 'МЕЖДУНАРОДНАЯ ХУДОЖЕСТВЕННАЯ ВЫСТАВКА КАРТИНЪ ЖУРНАЛА „МIРЪ ИСКУССТВА" ' ['Exposition Internationale des Beaux Arts Organisée par La Revue "Le Monde Artiste" '], Мир искусства [Mir Iskusstva, 'World of Art'], vol. 2, no. 6, 1899, contains a list of exhibits.
Гюисман, И . [Huysmans, I.], 'Уистлер' [Uistler], Мир искусства [Mir Iskusstva, 'World of Art'], vol. 2, nos. 16-17, 1899, pp. 61-68, repr. p. 67.
- Stasov, V. V., 'Podvoriye prokagennykh', [The Leper House], , in Isbranniye sochineniya [Selected Works], 3 vols., Moscow, 1952, vol. 3, p. 257.
Books on Whistler
- Calosse, J. P., Whistler, New York, 2011, repr. fig. 54.
Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907, p. 212 (cat. no. 372).
- D'Anvers, N., James McNeill Whistler, 1904, p. 43.
MacDonald, Margaret F., 'What is a Whistler?', in: Glazer, Lee, Margaret F. MacDonald, Linda Merrill, and Nigel Thorp (eds), James McNeill Whistler in Context. Essays from the Whistler Centenary Symposium, University of Glasgow, 2003, Washington, DC, 2008, pp. 1-18, at pp. 2-3.
Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 2, p. 221, repr. f.p. 220.
Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 5th (revised) edition, London and Philadelphia, 1911, p. 357.
Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Whistler Journal, Philadelphia, 1921, repr. f.p. 150.
Pousette-Dart, Nathaniel, (ed.), James McNeill Whistler,(with introduction by Joseph & Elizabeth Robins Pennell), New York, 1924, repr. pl. 61.
Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, p. 133.
Art and Progress, American Federation of Arts, 1913, vol. 4, p. 984.
76th Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1907 (cat. no. 332) as 'Blue and Coral: The Little Blue Bonnet'.
International Exhibition of Modern Art, Association of American Paintings and Sculpture, Armory of the 69th Infantry, New York, 1913 (cat. no. 1086) as 'The Little Blue Bonnet'.
Masterpieces of Art, European and American Paintings, 1500-1900, New York World's Fair,
1940 (cat. no. 298) as 'The Blue Bonnet'.
Whistler Loan Exhibition, Macbeth Gallery, New York, 1947 (ex.cat) 'The Blue Bonnet'.
White, Nelson C., James McNeill Whistler Seventeenth Anniversary Exhibition, Lyman Allyn Museum, New London, CT, 1949 (cat. no. 32) as 'The Blue Bonnet'.
Poetic Painting: American Masterworks from the Clark and Liebes Collections, Vance
Jordan Fine Art, New York, 2001.
Merrill, Linda, et al., After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2003, pp. 31 note 132, 247 note 63 (not in exhibition).
- Kruglov, Vladimir, 'Whistler in Russian criticism', in Andreeva, Galina, and Margaret F. MacDonald, Whistler and Russia, State Tretyakow Gallery, Moscow, 2006, pp. 162-69, at p. 166 (not exhibited).
MacDonald, Margaret F., 'James McNeill Whistler', in: Andreeva, Galina and Margaret F. MacDonald (eds), Whistler and Russia, Tretyakow Gallery, Moscow, 2006, pp. 16-57, at pp. 55-56, repr. p. 56 (not in exhibition).
- American Art Association, New York, 13 January 1922 (lot 173).
- Gallatin, A. E., 'An Exhibition of Women's Portraits by Modern Artists', Art and Progress, vol. 4, no. 8 (June 1913), pp. 933-88, at p. 984.
L'Amour de L'Art, July 1938, vol. 19, repr.
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art website at http://collections.lacma.org.
Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 290).
- 'W. R. M.', 'The Work of a Dead Artist. / Striking Exhibition in the city. / A Pupil of Whistler and Leighton,' [Cape?] Times] South Africa), June or July, n.d. (unidentified press cutting, Whistler archives, University of Glasgow).
Last updated: 7th June 2021 by Margaret