Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > (related works) > Search Display
MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995 (cat. no. 807) as 'The Riva – Sunset; red and gold'.
Venice Pastels, Fine Art Society, London, 1881 (cat. no. 6) as 'The Riva – Sunset; red and gold.'
- Anon., 'Mr. Whistler's Venice Pastels', The Daily News, London, 31 January 1881.
- Anon., 'Mr. Whistler's Pastels at the Fine Art Society', The Standard, London, 31 January 1881, p. 2.
- Anon., 'Art: Venice Pastels', The Observer, London, 6 February 1881, supplement p. 1.
- Anon., [Godwin, E. W.], 'Review of Venice Pastels Exhibition', British Architect, 4 February 1881, pp. 59-64.
- Anon., 'Mr Whistler's Pastels', Athenaeum, no. 2780, 5 February 1881, p. 206.
- 'Mr. Whistler's 'Venice Pastels', The Queen, 12 February 1881, p. 171.
Wedmore, Frederick, 'Fine Art: Mr Whistler's Pastels', The Academy, vol. 29, 19 February 1881, p. 142.
Fanfulla, 26 February 1881.
Books on Whistler
Grieve, Alastair, Whistler's Venice, New Haven and London, 2000, pp. 159, 161, repr. pl. 202, view repr. pl. 203.
MacDonald, Margaret F., Palaces in the Night: Whistler in Venice, Aldershot and California, 2001, p. 99.
Way, Thomas Robert, and G. R. Dennis, The Art of James McNeill Whistler: An Appreciation, 1st edition, London, 1903, p. 93.
Way, Thomas Robert, Memories of James McNeill Whistler, the Artist, London and New York, 1912, repr. f.p. 52.
- Curry, David Park, 'James McNeill Whistler: Aestheticizing Realism,' Yale University Art Gallery Bulletin, 2015, p. 44, fig. 1.
- Yale University Art Gallery website at https://artgallery.yale.edu/collections/objects/8121.
Last updated: 11th February 2021 by Margaret