Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > (related works) > Search Display
MacDonald, Margaret F., James McNeill Whistler. Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours. A Catalogue Raisonné, New Haven and London, 1995 (cat. no. 1074) as 'Note in Violet and Green'.
Authored by Whistler
Whistler, James McNeill, The Gentle Art of Making Enemies, London, 1890, p. 195.
Eleventh Exhibition of the Society of French Artists, Deschamps Gallery, London, 1875 (cat. no. unknown).
Winter Exhibition, Society of British Artists, London, 1885 (cat. no. 568) as 'Note in Violet and Green'.
Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 73) as 'The Purple Cap'.
- [Society of British Artists], The Observer, London, 29 November 1885.
- Anon., 'The British Artists', Truth, London, 3 December 1885, p. 16.
- Anon., 'Society of British Artists', The Globe, London, 5 December 1885, p. 2.
- Anon., 'The British Artists', St James Gazette, London, 7 December 1885, p. 6.
- Anon., 'The Society of British Artists', Illustrated London News, London, 12 December 1885, p. 440.
- Anon., Pall Mall Gazette, London, 8 & 10 December 1885 (repr. as 'Ingratitude' in Whistler, James McNeill, The Gentle Art of Making Enemies, London, 1890, p.195).
- Anon., 'The Society of British Artists', The Times, London, 3 December 1885, p. 8.
- Anon., 'The Society of British Artists', Athenaeum, no. 2508, 20 November 1875, pp. 578-9.
- Wedmore, Frederick, 'The Society of British Artists', Academy, vol. 28, 19 December 1885, p. 417.
Scott, William, 'Reminiscences of Whistler. Some Venice Recollections', The Studio, vol. 30, November 1903, pp. 97-108, at p. 108.
Anon., The Studio Whistler Portfolio, London, 1905 (ten colour reproductions), pl. 3.
Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art, New York and London, 1984, p. 270, pl. 267.
- Freer Gallery of Art website at https://asia.si.edu/object/F1905.128a-b, as 'The Purple Cap'.
Last updated: 27th February 2021 by Margaret