Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 41), plate 27, as 'Blue and Silver: Blue Wave, Biarritz'.
Authored by Whistler
Nocturnes, Marines & Chevalet Pieces, Goupil Gallery, London, 1892 (cat. no. 21).
Goupil Gallery and James McNeill Whistler, Nocturnes, Marines & Chevalet Pieces [portfolio of photographs published after the Goupil Gallery Exhibition, March-April 1892], London, 1892, repr. pl. 14.
Nocturnes, Marines & Chevalet Pieces, Goupil Gallery, London, 1892 (cat. no. 21) as 'Blue and Silver. Blue Wave Biarritz'.
- Possibly in [Exhibition], Boussod, Valadon & Cie., of the Goupil Gallery, London, at Wellington Studios, Glasgow, 1893 (no catalogue).
Exposition Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Champ de Mars, Paris, 1894 (ex-catalogue).
Twentieth Annual Exhibition of the Society of American Artists at the Galleries of the American Fine Arts Society, New York, 1898 (cat. no. 285).
Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 54) as 'The Blue Wave'.
Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the late James McNeill Whistler, First President of The International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, New Gallery, Regent Street, London, 1905 (cat. no. 29) as 'The Blue Wave' and in the deluxe edition as 'Blue and Silver, The Blue Wave, Biarritz'.
Œuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 55) as 'Bleu et argent. La vague bleue. Biarritz. – (Blue and Silver. The Blue Wave. Biarritz.)'
- Anon., 'Art and Artists', Globe, London, 2 March 1892, p. 6.
- Anon., 'Our London Correspondence', Glasgow Herald, Glasgow, 19 March 1892, p. 7.
- Anon., 'Latest News', The Scotsman, Edinburgh, 21 March 1892, p. 7.
- Anon., 'Latest News', The Scotsman, Edinburgh, 6 June 1893, p. 5.
Alexandre, Arsène, 'J. McNeill Whistler', Les Arts, October 1903, pp. 22-32, at p. 30.
Bénédite, Léonce, 'Artistes Contemporains: Whistler', Gazette des beaux-arts, vol. 33, 1905, pp. 403-10, 496-511; vol. 34, 1905, pp. 142-58, 231-46, in vol. 33 at pp. 498-500.
Books on Whistler
Duret, Théodore, Histoire de J. McN. Whistler et de son oeuvre, Paris, 1904, pp. 18-19, drawing repr. p. 24.
Eddy, Arthur Jerome, Recollections and Impressions of James A. McNeill Whistler, Philadelphia and London, 1903, repr. f.p. 174.
- MacDonald, Margaret F., 'Joanna Hiffernan and James Whistler: an Artistic Partnership' in Margaret F. MacDonald (ed.), The Woman in White: Joanna Hiffernan and James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and Washington, 2020, pp. 15-31.
Pennell, Elizabeth Robins, and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, 2 vols, London and Philadelphia, 1908, vol. 1, pp. 95-96, 133; vol. 2, p. 127.
Petri, Grischka, Arrangement in Business: The Art Markets and the Career of James McNeill Whistler, Hildesheim, 2011, pp. 59, 535, 542.
Singletary, Suzanne M., James McNeill Whistler and France: A Dialogue in Paint, Poetry, and Music, London and New York, 2017, p. 64.
Spencer, Robin, Whistler, New York, 1990, pp. 50-51.
Sutherland, Daniel E., Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake, New Haven and London, 2014, pp. 74-75, 77.
- La Farge, John & August F. Jaccacci, eds, Concerning Noteworthy paintings in American private collections, New York, 1909, p. 22.
Moore, George, Modern Painting, London, 1893, p. 7.
- Tinterow, Gary, and Henri Loyrette, Origins of Impressionism, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1994, p. 240, repr.
- Hill-Stead Museum website at http://www.hillstead.org.
Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 377).
Last updated: 31st December 2020 by Margaret