Home > Catalogue > Exhibitions > (related works) > Search Display
Young, Andrew McLaren, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer, and Hamish Miles, The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler, New Haven and London, 1980 (cat. no. 255), plate 175, as 'Red and Pink: La Petite Mephisto'.
Authored by Whistler
'Notes' - 'Harmonies' - 'Nocturnes', Messrs Dowdeswell, London, 1884 (cat. no. 51) as 'Red and pink: La Petite Mephisto'.
Annual Exhibition of Sketches, Pictures & Photography: A Loan Collection of Pictures by Mr Whistler ..., Dublin Sketching Club, Dublin, 1884 (cat. no. 238) 'Red and Pink. Petite Mephiste'.
Exposition Internationale de Peinture et de Sculpture, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 1887 (cat. no. 164) as 'Note en rouge: La petite Méphisto'.
Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels and Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society, Boston, 1904 (cat. no. 14) as 'Petite Mephiste'.
Œuvres de James McNeill Whistler, Palais de l'Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1905 (cat. no. 52) as 'Petite Méphisto... Esquisse'.
- Anon, ['Cigarette'], 'Whistles', The Topical Times, London, 24 May 1884.
- Anon., 'The Private View at the Dublin Sketching Club', Dublin Daily Express, Dublin, 1 December 1884, p. 5.
Wedmore, Frederick, ‘Mr Whistler's Arrangement in Flesh Colour and Gray’, The Academy, vol. 25, 24 May 1884, p. 374.
Books on Whistler
Cary, Elizabeth Luther, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study, with a Tentative List of Artist’s Works, New York, 1907 (cat. no. 14), p. 157.
Enaud-Lechien, Isabelle, James Whistler, le peintre et le polémiste (1834-1903), Courbevoie, 1995, p. 111.
- Glazer, Lee, Emily Jacobsen, Blyth McCarthy, and Katherine Roeder, Whistler in Watercolor. Lovely Little Games, Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2019, p. 191, detail repr. p. 190.
Sickert, Bernhard, Whistler, London and New York, 1908, p. 170, n. 145.
Sutton, Denys, Nocturne: The Art of James McNeill Whistler, London, 1963, pp. 104, 107.
- Hughes, Robert, The Spectacle of Skill: New and Selected Writings of Robert Hughes, New York, 2015, p. 114.
Curry, David Park, James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art, New York and London, 1984, pp. 144, 295, pl. 49.
Stubbs, Burns A., Paintings, Pastels, Drawings, Prints and Copper Plates by and attributed to American and European Artists, together with a List of Original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 1948, p. 14 (02.147).
Myers, Kenneth John, Mr. Whistler’s Gallery: Pictures at an 1884 Exhibition, Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2003, pp. 21, 93, repr. p. 62.
Tinterow, Gary, and Geneviève Lacambre, Manet/Velázquez: The French Taste for Spanish Painting, New Haven and London, 2003, 541.
- Anderson, Ronald, 'Whistler in Dublin, 1884', Irish Arts Review (1984-1987), Autumn, 1986, vol. 3, no. 3 (Autumn, 1986), pp. 45-51 Published by: Irish Arts Review at URL: https://www.jstor.org/stable/20491906.
- Freer Gallery of Art website at https://asia.si.edu/object/F1902.147a-b.
Small Masterpieces: Whistler Paintings from the 1880s, Freer Gallery of Art 2005, Traditional Fine Arts Organization website at http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/5aa/5aa257.htm (acc. 2019).
Revillon, Joseph Whistler, Draft Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings of J. McN. Whistler, [ca 1945-1955], Glasgow University Library (cat. no. 178).
Parkerson, Sarah Lawrence, Variations in Gold: The Stylistic Development of the Picture Frames used by James McNeill Whistlers, PhD thesis, University of Glasgow, 2007.
Last updated: 31st December 2020 by Margaret